8.05.2002

Skipping the chatter, and to the point. After finding Bookslut the other day, I've decided to give myself a "100 Best" booklist to read from.

Some differences: Only books I haven't read; Not limited to the 20th century; Nor to English as the Modern Library list.

There are also some books which are simply out of the question for my purposes. I will not be reading Huxley or Rand, I will not be reading the Bible, Quran, Torah, B. Gita, or the Analects of Confucius. Nor War and Peace... just not going to... that's all there is to it.

I also have no requirement that they be novels, or even fiction. Just well regarded and previously unread (or unfinished).

So I give you my list thus far:

These first books I actually own, and have simply not read. Hopefully this little project will remedy that.

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky
Winter of Our Discontent - Steinbeck
The Decameron - Boccacio
Confessions - Rousseau
A Confederacy of Dunces - Toole
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence - Pirsig
Dubliners - Joyce
For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway
Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
Wuthering Heights - E. Brontë

So that makes 10 must-read books... so I just need 90 more :) Any suggestions added in comment are appreciated, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home